Monday, November 12, 2018
7:30 am - 8:00 am Breakfast
8:00 am - 8:05 am Chairperson's Recap
8:05 am - 8:45 am Embracing the Consumerization of HR: Applying a Consumer & Digital Lens to Your HR FunctionCathy Fraser - CHRO Mayo Clinic
HR is and will be instrumental as companies and society increasingly shift to a digital world. Translating the HR digital revolution to everyday work is a business necessity. This session will focus on the role of HR in providing the necessary resources on mobile, virtual and simplified platforms.
· Discuss the competencies of the past and present, and more specifically, the competencies of the future needed for a digital society
· Develop a culture of continuous development with a focus on fueling future growth and innovation
· Discuss reskilling efforts, career intelligence and advanced HR capabilities through digital platforms
· Embrace the consumerization of HR with a focus on individualism and personalization
8:45 am - 9:15 am New Approaches in Leadership Experiences - Accelerating People Performance at the Mayo ClinicCathy Fraser - CHRO Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is known for its clinical innovations that have elevated the organization to its position as one of the best healthcare providers in the world. Mayo is innovating in its people programs as well – recognizing that it will need to evolve to continue to meet its peoples’ needs and interests. During this session, Cathy Fraser, CHRO of Mayo Clinic, describes a few of Mayo’s innovative approaches to develop leaders and create careers. Cathy will describe Mayo’s hybrid/rotational assignments, flexible staffing, and other innovative approaches to deliver Mayo’s people strategy “life long careers for talent people who share our values.” These approaches have led to excellent succession plans and placement and high engagement, critical drivers of Mayo’s continuous fulfillment of its patient-centric mission.
BrainWeave9:15 am - 10:00 am The Consumerization of Recruitment: The Winning Formula for Engaging Talent
Modern job seekers are more powerful than ever before. Today, brand loyalty and consumer-facing recruitment have sparked a shift in power from employer to job seeker, causing a revolution in the way companies attract, recruit, and hire new talent. Be it with an outstanding corporate culture and benefits package, a user-friendly career portal, or mobile application experience, more companies are putting a positive candidate experience first, because without one, there’s too much at stake.
Recruiting practices are an extension of your corporate brand – and candidates are ultimately your customers. Join this session and learn::
· How consumer trends impact candidate engagement
· Where employers are losing the war for top talent
· The tools you need for better hiring insights to impact your business bottom line
10:00 am - 10:30 am Business Meeting
10:30 am - 11:00 am Business Meeting
11:00 am - 11:15 am Networking Break
11:15 am - 11:45 am Leveraging Neuroscience to Create a "Toward" vs "Away" CultureDr. Julie Loosbrock - SVP, Human Resources Deluxe Corporation
In this session, we will understand and explore the role of the brain and its response to threat and reward and the impact on performance. Understand the brain’s organizing principle and five primary social domains (SCARF) that trigger the threat and reward response. Discuss how this insight enables more effective leadership for better outcomes.
· Understand the SCARF framework and the role it plays in effective collaboration, connection and culture
· Understand your SCARF order
· Understand the SCARF domains and how you can use this insight to create better outcomes
· Discuss ways to use SCARF insight to create a toward culture for improved performance
Dr. Julie LoosbrockSVP, Human Resources
11:45 am - 12:15 pm Five Lessons Learned in Bringing People, Process and Platform Together to Drive Business StrategyKate Terrell - CHRO Driscoll's
Driscoll’s is focused on evolving their HR organization so it can scale as the business scales, while maintaining the soul of the company. This session will highlight their people strategy, and the work they are doing within HR to operationalize this strategy. Kate will share lessons learned in bringing together people, processes, and platforms in the most effective way possible to meet people needs and most importantly, help the business deliver on its goals. Through the work done thus far they are:
- Improving the employee experience
- Reducing our time to fill job openings by 50%
- Improving our talent health outcomes
12:15 pm - 1:05 pm Lunch
1:05 pm - 1:45 pm Roundtable Discussions: Choose Your TopicJaspreet Randhawa - Founder and CEO ResourceVerified
A: Establishing the Connection Between Employee Experience & Customer Experience
Employees’ expectations of their experiences at work are evolving. Similar to their customer experiences, they want an overall employee experience that fits more seamlessly into their lives. In the past, organizations have focused on their own priorities as an employer, but that pendulum has swung. Organizations should start with the employee lifecycle, and identify moments that matter; where the employee and employer needs are most aligned. A design thinking approach can be used to engage employees in the process of identifying and designing a best fit solution. In this roundtable, we will lead participants through a discussion that explores what employee experience (EX) is and how it relates to employee engagement along with tips to approaching, assessing and improving the employee experience.
Sponsored By: McLean & Company
B: Beyond the Hype: How Blockchain for HR and Recruitment Might Just Be the Next Game Changer
In this roundtable we will start with a clear definition of blockchain and hear how it can be applied to HR processes focussed on recruitment and talent management. Attendees will learn how to navigate the complexities of this new application and review the cost savings and productivity benefits.
Jaspreet Randhawa, Founder & CEO, resourceverified
C: The Rise of a Gig Economy: Managing a New Normal
By 2020 Intuit predicts that 43% of the US workforce or 60 million people will be gig economy workers (consultants, freelancers, contractors, part-time) and we will be managing a workforce of full-time employees to a more blended workforce. These workers will help fill-in skill gaps, particularly with the rising competition for cyber and AI roles. In this roundtable, you’ll learn how HR can make the most of this gig economy.
D: The Missing Link in Strategic Leadership: Developing the Next Generation
Thinking beyond the next move, asking higher level questions, critical thinking, communication, and leadership presence are highly sought after traits by high-performing organizations. Yet there is a material gap between need and competence in strategic leadership. Change is inevitable and not easy; exemplary executives know this and that strategic leadership is difficult to teach. The long-term strategic opportunity lies with middle management being the champion and protagonist of change. Yet, how should strategic opportunity be leveraged? Join this roundtable discussion to hear the latest research on how to close the gap between need and competence in strategic leadership, as well as share case studies on organizational transformative learning that results in higher performance for initiatives and KPIs, increased employee engagement, enhanced problem-solving and improved life and work balance.
Sponsored By: DDJ Myers
E: Eliminating the White Noise: Driving Cohesion & Collaboration Across a Multigenerational Workforce
Never before has there been such a diversity of generations in the workforce. With competition for talent on the rise, there is even greater urgency to develop a culture of employee commitment, and that all starts with understanding how your multiple generations wish to continually improve and grow. Each group has their own sets of values, needs and motivators. During this roundtable we will address the impact of different generations and the impact of HR, and understand what makes each generation tick, so that attendees may begin to craft a corporate HR strategy that meets their needs and motivates performance.
F: Navigating the Unknown: HR’s Role in Crisis Management
Given what happened with Equifax, Facebook, the natural disasters, recent shootings, and harassment issues, how can we as CHROs best prepare our workforce to effectively lead, communicate with, and inspire employees through crisis or the worst of times for an organization? Attend this roundtable and learn how HR can be more involved in the crisis planning process and how to develop the training and mechanisms to mitigate potential problems the company – and employees- might face.
G: Managing Ethical Practices in the Digital Age
Now, more than ever, ethics is “the price of admission in high-performing organizations.” Ensuring business -wide ethical practices have grown more difficult in the digital age. This Ignite will discuss how HR Leaders must expand their ethical charges, including the ethical use of data, the role of technology and the risk factors at play.
H: Focusing on Inclusion vs. Diversity
This roundtable will explain how a siloed focus on diversity and not inclusion can promote disconnection and marginalization. Learn how to use inclusion to create new cultures that brings diversity rather than a primary focus on diversity for its sake.
Jaspreet RandhawaFounder and CEO
1:45 pm - 2:15 pm The Science of HR: Unlocking the Promise And Mitigating the Potential Pitfalls Of Using Predictive Analytics to Shape Workforce Strategy & Drive Employee Engagement
· Learn how HR predictive analytics apply in practice
· Utilize analytics to improve hiring and predict business problems related to attrition, skills, and customer satisfaction
· Draw clear and measurable links between workforce investments and business results
· Use predictive analytics to measure the impact of employee engagement on bottom line performance
1:45 pm - 2:15 pm Talent Management as a Competitive AdvantageEric Wohl - SVP, Human Resources Dish Network
Explore the lessons learned at a Fortune 250 telecommunications company through the journey of using integrated talent management to work toward a corporate goal of building the industry’s best team. You will examine how to use business alignment, engagement, leadership development, and employee experience focus to improve your business results. Through the session, you will assess where your organization is in these areas, and discuss actions you can take to improve.
- Explore how to move to a true business partner by better aligning with senior leadership
- Use employee engagement and succession planning to assess whether your efforts are making a difference
- Assess the state of your current talent management process and identify the areas you should focus on for maximum leverage.
Eric WohlSVP, Human Resources
2:15 pm - 2:30 pm Ignite: Using Hackathons to Reinvent the Candidate & Employee Experience
· Learn how the hackathon can be a powerful recruitment tool
· Hear how the hackathon is improving employee engagement, contributing to enhanced HR products and solutions and building cross functional leader skills
· Learn how to create a powerful hackathon by including a diverse mix of functions, business leaders and skill sets
2:30 pm - 3:00 pm Business Meeting
3:00 pm - 3:30 pm Business Meeting
3:30 pm - 3:45 pm Networking Break
Master Class3:45 pm - 4:30 pm Applying Design Thinking to HR
There's no such thing as “business as usual" in today's global economy. In an environment of almost constant change, disruption is the order of the day. For your business to thrive amidst the turmoil, your teams need to be fluent in a cutting-edge approach that integrates design tools with foundational business concepts, which enable flexibility and a capacity for continuous innovation. Your team can inspire and lead the market in a transformative environment that aligns values across the divergent stakeholders of your business. The New School is pioneering a highly collaborative, original approach of design-led education. Get a glimpse of what it's all about by participating in our hands, experiential design thinking workshop. See how design involves critical thinking and discovery, demonstrating how design tools are core for:
- Uncovering deep user insights
- Understanding key industry trends that affect emerging user experience and behaviors
- Doing the design concept work
- Engineering commercial-ready solutions
- Releasing a prototype to market
BrainWeave3:45 pm - 4:30 pm Beyond the Headlines - Cultural Movements, Pay Equity, and Competitive Advantage
Between Hollywood scandals and new salary history laws, systemic pay disparity has been a hot topic, spiking awareness through movements like #timesup and the publicity storm around wage discrimination plaguing large companies. For business leaders, the pressure is high to identify and resolve pay disparities in their own organization.
As companies look to their compensation teams to develop and implement a pay equity strategy, it’s critical for compensation professionals to understand how to:
· Champion pay equity and ensure the entire organization adheres to the strategy
· Discuss the long-term business benefits of implementing a pay equity strategy’
· Receive tips on creating structured processes to support your pay equity strategy
· Gain best practices for educating decision makers and communicating compensation decisions
Ignite4:30 pm - 4:45 pm Ignite: Let's Get Real About Financial Wellness
Today we are inundated with data about financial wellness and the impact on productivity while missing the human side of this data. The hallmark of any successful wellness program is meeting people where they are and empowering them to make small changes that have a lasting impact. In this session, we will:
· Apply the lessons learned from retirement planning (auto-enrollment, auto-escalation, target retirement funds) to address the core issue facing most Americans – a lack of short term savings.
Ignite4:45 pm - 5:00 pm The Employee Career Experience: Uncovering the 6 Best-In-Class Practices Associated With Better Business Performance
5:00 pm - 5:30 pm Partnering Well on Rapid Timeline
As we co-present this case study with our partner, William-Sonoma Inc., you will learn how we helped WSI train remote call center associates via eLearning. From discovery to creation and deployment this project was completed in less than 9 months using in-house resources. Learn how we co-created a luxury brand look that employed a simple game approach to a technical AS400 system. We will share lessons learned including how to partner well with a vendor and support a large roll-out. Last, we will dive into the metrics we measured together to demonstrate Return on Learning to key leaders at WSI.
In this session you will learn how to:
· Employ a rapid development process for a high-profile launch on a very short timeline
· Build a successful and mutually satisfying partnership with a vendor
· Demonstrate Return on Learning (ROL) to key executives with specific measurables
· Incorporate creative animation and game elements into highly brand-focused eLearning modules
· Deploy eLearning to 1,000’s of remote-based learners based on lessons learned
5:30 pm - 6:00 pm Panel: Cut to Chase: Straight Talk from CHROs on Career Journeys, Mistakes & Failures, Managing Up & Gaining ConfidenceSuzie Elliott - CHRO Farmers Insurance
Girish Ganesan - VP, Enterprise HR Solutions and Enablement TD
Kristen Bruner - VP, HR Boeing Global Services
Judy Edge - CVP, HR FedEx Corporation
· Highlight one of your biggest mistakes. What could you have done differently?
· Describe your career path, how did you get where you are, and what continuing education opportunities are you personally taking advantage of?
· What’s your advice for impressing the CHRO? Any advice on how to improve the chances of getting a raise and promotion?
· Talk about the worst job you’ve had. How did you endure?
· Who has made it possible to access the technology you need to be successful?
Girish GanesanVP, Enterprise HR Solutions and Enablement
Kristen BrunerVP, HR
Boeing Global Services
Judy EdgeCVP, HR